CenterPoint Energy issues important carbon monoxide safety tips
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Cold weather is here and CenterPoint Energy encourages all natural gas customers to follow important safety tips to keep them safe from carbon monoxide poisoning as they stay warm.
Any fuel-burning equipment or appliance including wood stoves, fireplaces, space heaters, barbecue grills, furnaces, water heaters, boilers and ranges, has the potential to produce carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating.
When breathed, CO combines with the blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen. Carbon monoxide can be produced by incomplete combustion, often the result of improperly adjusted or poorly-vented appliances. Annual check-ups of these appliances help ensure proper and safe operation of these types of appliances and equipment.